ISLAMABAD -- A Pakistani court has rejected a request by the parents of a Pakistani social-media star allegedly murdered by her brothers to free them.
Qandeel Baloch's parents on August 22 told the court in Multan, Punjab Province, where the two brothers are on trial for the apparent “honor killing,” that they forgave their sons "in the name of Allah" -- but not the other accused.
The court turned down the plea and said the case against Waseem and Aslam Shaheen will continue.
Twenty-six-year-old Qandeel Baloch was strangled in July 2016 in a killing that shocked many people in Pakistan where hundreds of women are killed every year over perceived damage to family honor.
In 2015, lawmakers closed a legislative loophole that had been used to allow perpetrators to avoid punishment because they could seek forgiveness from a family member.
However, Baloch's parents -- Muhammad Azeem and Anwar Bibi -- argued that because the change happened after her slaying, they should still be able to pardon their sons.
Baloch’s brother Waseem initially confessed to the murder, saying she had brought shame on his family, but later changed his plea.
Another six suspects in the case have been arrested in the case, while a seventh has absconded.
Parents Fail To Free Brothers Accused Of Killing Social-Media Star

With reporting by the BBC and Dawn
Editor's Picks
Subscribe
Afghanistan/Pakistan Trending
1
Every Two Hours A Woman Dies During Childbirth In Afghanistan
2What's Behind The New Wave Of Violence In Pakistan's Balochistan?
3Hundreds Of Thousands Of Afghans In Pakistan Brace For Deportations
4Afghans No Longer Celebrate Nowruz Amid Poverty, Taliban Restrictions
5Who Is Mahrang Baloch, The Rights Advocate Arrested By Pakistan On Terrorism Charges?
6Pakistan Sets April 1 Deadline For 'Afghan Card' Holders, 'Illegal Foreigners' To Leave
7American Woman Freed By Taliban, Second Release Of US Hostage In 8 Days
8Afghans 'In Extreme Despair' Amid Uncertainty Over Their US Migration
9Barred From Studying, Afghan Woman Uses Tech Skills To Keep Power Running
10Millions Of Afghan Girls Barred From School For Fourth Consecutive Year
RFE/RL has been declared an "undesirable organization" by the Russian government.
If you are in Russia or the Russia-controlled parts of Ukraine and hold a Russian passport or are a stateless person residing permanently in Russia or the Russia-controlled parts of Ukraine, please note that you could face fines or imprisonment for sharing, liking, commenting on, or saving our content, or for contacting us.
To find out more, click here.