At Least 5 Killed In Russian Strike On Izyum In Eastern Ukraine

A woman cleans debris near a heavily damaged building, which was hit in a missile attack on the city of Izyum in eastern Ukraine on February 4.

Russian forces have launched a deadly missile strike on the eastern frontline city of Izyum in the Kharkiv region, killing at least five and injuring dozens, the head of the regional military administration said.

"Enemy strike on Izyum. According to preliminary data, the occupiers used a ballistic missile," Oleh Synyehubov wrote on Telegram. He initially said that four civilians had been killed, but later updated the death toll to five.

According to Synyehubov, Russian forces struck the central part of the strategically important city, which links up key road networks and supply routes.

Initially, 17 people were reported injured, five of whom were hospitalized. The number of injured has now increased to 38 people, including one 15-year-old girl.

According to preliminary data, Russia used ballistic missiles in the attack.

Local authorities reported that the strike hit an administrative building and damaged another administrative facility nearby, as well as multistory residential buildings. The regional military administration said there are no military facilities in this area.

Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy said rescue operations are still ongoing at the site of the incident and offered condolences to the families of the dead.

Your browser doesn’t support HTML5

Pregnant Woman Among 5 Killed In Russian Missile Strike On Izyum, Ukraine

"Such brutality is intolerable," he said on Telegram. "We must put pressure on Russia by using every available means -- military force, sanctions, and diplomatic efforts -- to stop this terror and protect lives."

The Russian military regularly attacks Ukrainian regions, causing widespread destruction in civilian areas with drones, rockets, artillery, and various types of bombs.

The Kremlin has denied it targets civilian areas despite evidence of such attacks.