Rescue workers combed through the rubble on January 23 after Russian air strikes on the Ukrainian city of Zaporizhzhya overnight killed one and left at least 46 injured.
Ivan Fedorov, head of the regional military administration, wrote on Telegram that medical facilities were still receiving victims following the attacks, adding 22 persons, including a 2-month-old boy, had been hospitalized.
"There was a loud explosion and then everything fell on me," Serhiy, whose two-story house collapsed on him and his wife after the first explosion, told Current Time.
"I could hear screams, I tried to clear away debris and ran to my wife. She was screaming that she couldn't feel her legs. We had to carry her to the bomb shelter."
Serhiy said his wife is now in the hospital in moderate condition, while his neighbor died in the strike.
Your browser doesn’t support HTML5
Aftermath Of Deadly Russian Strike On Zaporizhzhya
The State Emergencies Service said four emergency workers who came under repeated shelling while responding to the initial air attack, which involved five drone strikes, are among the injured.
Video and eyewitness accounts revealed extent of the strikes with one residential building destroyed and 30 others damaged. Several private homes and non-residential facilities in the Shevchenko and Oleksandr districts of the city were also hit by the attacks.
"I was just sitting here when the explosion hit. If I hadn't jumped up and left immediately, I would no longer be here," another Zaporizhzhya resident, Tatyana Semenyuk, told Current Time.
Russian forces continue to target Ukrainian regions using drones, missiles, guided bombs, and rocket systems.
While Moscow denies deliberate strikes on civilian infrastructure, Ukrainian officials and international organizations have repeatedly accused Russia of targeting hospitals, schools, and other critical facilities and noncombatants.
Your browser doesn’t support HTML5
Under Fire In Pokrovsk: Ukrainian City Burns As Attack Drones Stalk Residents
The Ukrainian Parliament's Commissioner for Human Rights, Dmytro Lubinets, said on January 23 that he had called on international organizations, including the United Nations and the International Committee of the Red Cross, to investigate a video purportedly showing Russian soldiers executing unarmed Ukrainian prisoners of war.
The video, which has been widely circulated online, has not been independently verified.
The footage appears to show Russian soldiers shooting six unarmed Ukrainian POWs in the back while forcing others to watch. The fate of a seventh soldier shown in the footage remains unknown.
Russia has not commented on allegations that its soldiers executed the POWs.
Lubinets condemned the act, emphasizing Ukraine's urgent need for justice and accountability for such crimes.
"This crime must be documented and addressed. The lack of accountability has turned such atrocities into systemic behavior. We cannot turn a blind eye to this," Lubinets stated in a Telegram post.
Reports of torture, executions, and mistreatment of Ukrainian POWs have been frequent since Russia launched its ongoing invasion of Ukraine almost three years ago.
The U.S.-based Institute for the Study of War said in October that it has "observed an increase in Russian forces executing Ukrainian POWs throughout the theater, and Russian commanders are likely writ large condoning, encouraging, or directly ordering the execution of Ukrainian POWs."
Ukrainian prosecutors say there is documented evidence indicating that Russian forces have executed 93 Ukrainian POWs on the battlefield since the start of the full-scale invasion in February 2022, with more than three-quarters of those recorded cases occurring in 2024.