US House Panel Backs Tougher Iran Measures, But Divisions Persist

Iranian missiles are displayed at the Islamic Revolutionary Guards Corps (IRGC) Aerospace Force Museum in Tehran. (file photo)

US lawmakers and experts at a House Foreign Affairs Committee hearing underscored a rare bipartisan consensus -- preventing Iran from acquiring nuclear weapons as a top priority.

However, divisions remain over how far Washington should go in applying pressure versus pursuing diplomacy.

Republican lawmakers strongly supported the Donald Trump administration’s decision to reinstate the “maximum pressure” campaign that defined his Iran policy during his first term as US president.

“The maximum pressure campaign devastated Iran’s economy and denied it critical resources. A nuclear Iran is not an option,” Subcommittee Chairman Mike Lawler (Republican-New York) said on April 1.

Democratic lawmakers also acknowledged the threat posed by Iran but stressed the importance of diplomacy.

“There is bipartisan understanding of the danger posed by Iran as the world’s foremost state sponsor of terrorism. We must combine pressure with diplomatic engagement,” Ranking Member Gregory Meeks (Democratic-New York) said.

Your browser doesn’t support HTML5

Iran Unveils 'Underground Missile City' Amid Regional Tensions

Three expert witnesses provided testimony on the challenges posed by Iran and the potential consequences of US strategies.

Norman Roule, a senior advisor at the Center for Strategic and International Studies, warned that Iran is advancing its nuclear program and could produce a weapon within months if left unchecked.

“Iran is closer than ever to producing a nuclear weapon,” Roule warned, adding that military strikes could only delay its program. He called for a comprehensive approach that combines sanctions, military readiness, and diplomacy.

Claire Jungman of United Against Nuclear Iran (UANI) highlighted the economic toll that sanctions have taken on the country, noting that its economy remains fragile due to inflation and currency devaluation.

She stressed the importance of targeting Iran’s oil trade with China in violation of US sanctions and leveraging its economic vulnerabilities to weaken its support for regional proxies like the US-designated Lebanese terrorist group Hezbollah.

Dana Stroul of The Washington Institute for Near East Policy noted that military strikes could escalate into broader conflict and urged Washington to pair pressure tactics with robust diplomacy.

She added that “the pillars of Iran’s security strategy”, including its nuclear program, proxy network, and arsenal of missiles and drones, are “more vulnerable today than ever.”

SEE ALSO: With Proxies Weakened, Iran Banks On Missiles For Deterrence

Trump has threatened to bomb Iran if it fails to reach a deal with Washington. Tehran has dismissed the threat, describing it as an “affront” to peace and security.

Iran last week delivered a formal response to Trump’s letter proposing direct talks to reach a new nuclear deal. Tehran has dismissed direct negotiations as long as the “maximum pressure” campaign is in effect.

SEE ALSO: Iran Vows Strong Response After 'Bombing' Threat By Trump

Axios reports that the White House is “seriously considering” Iran’s proposal for indirect talks while boosting its military presence in the Middle East.

Addressing Iranian Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, Committee Chairman Brian Mast (Republican-Florida) said Trump “will work with you to peacefully end” Iran’s nuclear and ballistic missile programs.

“Or, President Trump will destroy your nuclear weapons and ballistic missile program. You get to choose the remedy,” he said.

Iran maintains its nuclear program is peaceful, but there are growing calls in Iran to weaponize it as a form of deterrence against the United States and Israel.

Later on April 2, the Trump administration announced sanctions against individuals and companies it claims are helping the Iranian-backed Houthis, a rebel group designated as a terrorist organization by the United States.

The Houthis, formally known as the Ansarallah movement, seized power in Yemen in 2014 by toppling the internationally recognized, Saudi-backed government. The Trump administration last month launched strikes against Houthis rebels, who have been target shipping in the Red Sea, a crucial transportation corridor.

The Trump administration sanctioned two Russia-based Afghan brothers who assisted an Iran-based financier l in orchestrating shipments of stolen Ukrainian grain from Crimea to Yemen.

It also blocked eight digital asset wallets used by the Houthis to transfer funds associated with the group’s activities.